Monday, January 7, 2008

Question of the Week - Super Power

Well, I finished Anansi Boys, and once again Neil Gaiman rocks my world. I will do a bit of a review soon. Also, I of course need to address the Redskins game, which I will do now:

Why oh why do I even get my hopes up? That game was awful! They did nothing, nothing, more nothing, and then... Wow! They looked great for a few minutes, like magic--scoring two in a row, and almost a third, getting my hopes up... And then, crap! They fell apart. Again. Sigh. So the Redskins are out of the playoffs, as I knew they would be. But they did have a nice run for a while.

Now, on to today's post. It is Monday, and here at Cara Mama's that means it's question time. In honor of the supernatural nature of Neil Gaiman's writing, today's question is:

If you could have any super power, what would it be?

My answer is the same answer it has been for many, many years (as this isn't a new question for me to ponder). I would be able to become any animal, which would include the ability to talk to all animals since the ability to become an animal would enable me to communicate with the animals. But when I'm not the animal, I would like to look normal (and not be green).

I'm very curious what other people would be, and if you've given it a lot of thought, the way I have.

11 comments:

-goofydaddy said...

well, if i don't get accepted to the Green Lantern Corps, then i'd have to go with super strength. yeah i know it's cliche, boring, w/e. :-)

Becoming Mommy said...

I want to have mental powers like Professor X. It's great to be indestructible, super strong, etc. But really, it'd be better to make everyone ELSE who had those powers be able to do whatever you wanted.

Anonymous said...

I would like the power of three in one. That is to say, I want all the powers the characters in "Charmed" had - the powers to freeze time, the power to move things with my mind, the power to transport myself to any place I can think of, the power to see the future, the power to blow things up, and the abilities to make potions.

But honestly, I think that I would skip all of that if I had the power to sleep eight hours in a row. Now that would make me really powerful.

- Dana said...

mommyem - Your comment about the power to sleep made me chuckle. so true.

I think I would like to be able to teleport and take anyone with me! I would save so much time not having to deal with traffic. Oh the possibilities of all the things I could get done without a commute to deal with! I could also see the world with my family...we could spend the day in Bora Bora and be back for bedtime!

Cloud said...

I'm not sure what super power I'd want. I think the power to bend time so that I could get 8 hours of sleep AND still take care of Pumpkin in the manner she needs....

I took the What Should Your Superpower Be? quiz, and found out I would be a mind reader. Hmmm.

Burgh Baby said...

I feel you on the Redskins. It's when they give you a glimmer of hope that disappointment hurts the most.

I've never thought about what super power I would like. I think I would go with everything Superman has, especially speed. If I could clean the house in under 10 minutes, life would be so much easier.

Anonymous said...

Honestly I've never thought about this, that seems odd.

The sleep thing is sounding pretty damn good right now.

This question makes me think of Heros and their different powers. Peter I think is the most powerful because he can absorb others' powers just by being near them (unlike Sylar who has to eat their brain, ew) but that would assume that there are others around that had powers. Otherwise that would be pretty useless. Sticking with Heros I think I'd like to have Hiro's power. Time travel, teleportation and stopping time. That would definitely make for a shorter commute and longer stretches of sleep.

caramama said...

cloud: I took that quiz and it said my superpower should be manipulating electricity. I don't agree, but what can you do. Sometimes you don't get to choose your superpower.

And I'm re-thinking mine. I would LOVE to be able to consistently get a good night's sleep somehow. Maybe if I turn into a bear I'd have an excuse to hibernate...

Cara said...

Stop time, definitely, so I could clean the house, sleep, and get some work done without paying a sitter or having to miss playing with the kids.

Londo said...

Honestly, I think I would choose telekinesis. I like the thought of moving things with my mind. For example, I could make the Pumpkin hold still while I change her diaper...

-goofydaddy said...

hehe that would require too much concentration i think, londo :-)

Learning I Have Hypertension

This past winter, I discovered I have developed high blood pressure. This came as a surprise for me, since I generally had always had blood ...