Tuesday, April 28, 2009

When Mama's Grumpy and Toddler is Unfocused

After a poor night of sleep for Mama, Daddy and Toddler, the Pumpkin was up at 6:00. The parents were not ready to get up yet, so we let her watch a couple TV shows while we dozed. And that went fine for a while.

A little before 7:00, she was done with TV. Which meant I was done with sleeping. I took her downstairs to let Londo have a little more sleep and get ready for work, while we fed the dog and ate cereal. All too soon, she was ready to get into everything play. I was still really tired and achy. I tried to relax on the couch while she played, but she would not focus on anything. She would start one thing, then move on to another, then try to get into something else.

At one point, I picked her up and sat her on the couch next to me, telling her I wanted to talk to her about something. I explained that Mommy was very grumpy this morning. She responded, "You're not grumpy."

There's nothing quite like a toddler arguing with you when you tell them you are grumpy.

I kept my cool, though, and explained that yes I was grumpy and when Mommy is grumpy, she really needs the Pumpkin to listen to her and do what she asks. I know the Pumpkin is really good at understanding this level of information and is so advanced with communication. I thought it brillant that I would explain this to her rather than just be short tempered and frustrated. I thought perhaps by explain that Mommy doesn't want to be grumpy with her so she needs to listen and follow what I'm saying that she would actually listen and follow what I said.

I was wrong.

She simply had too short an attention span to listen to what I was saying or do what I was asking. She'd maybe do half of what I asked, but then she'd be off trying to play with the stovetop (it was off, but still YIKES!) or climb on the coffee table or do other things she knows she's not supposed to get do.

Still, I didn't lose my cool. I did get frustrated, but I did explain/point out what she was not supposed to do and distracted her to something else. At least for a little while. Londo provided a bit of distraction when he came down and said goodbye before leaving for work. Fortunately, the nanny arrived a little after 8, and I went back upstairs to relax a little before getting ready for work. I thought I would go back to sleep (and I probably should have), but I've got a lot going on today and needed to get going.

Not the most idyllic morning, but I'm proud that I didn't lose it or yell at her. Maybe it was because I was too tired to expend that kind of energy, but still good for me, right? And I'm still in a pretty good mood. I do so love the nice weather and longer days!

2 comments:

Cloud said...

Oh my. My tough time is after work. I still love picking Pumpkin up at day care, and mostly I like our time together at home before Hubby gets home. But some days, she wants to go, go go, and I just want to crash on the sofa. Sometimes I can get her to watch a DVD while I crash. Usually, she wins though, and we end up outside, with me trying to come up with ways to entertain her while I sit in a chair, and her running around yelling "chase you!" (which means she wants me to chase her).

Shellie said...

Good for you, and at your age, that was stellar follow through on her part really! You should be proud of her.

Learning I Have Hypertension

This past winter, I discovered I have developed high blood pressure. This came as a surprise for me, since I generally had always had blood ...