Friday, February 26, 2010

At Least We Amuse Ourselves (Shorts)

Ever since the first time I saw Mary Poppins, I loved it. I loved it so much that first time seeing it in the theater, that my mom offered to stay with me and watch it a second time. But it wasn't until I was a teenager babysitting and watched the movie again through adult(ish) eyes that I got half of what was going on in that movie. (Women suffragettes! A run on the money in a bank! Admiral Boom thinking the Hottentots are attacking!)

There are so many kids movies and shows that have two different levels of information. There is the level that entertains the kids, and there is the level that goes straight over their heads and entertains the adults. This is true from Mary Poppins to Toy Story to countless others. After all, we adults do not enjoy the same level of entertainment as the kids, but so often we have to watch the same things.

It's not just shows, though. At least in our house, Londo and I tend to amuse ourselves where we can, speaking above the kids' levels or referring to things they totally won't get for years. I thought I would share some of these instances with you all, as well as record them for posterity.

--------------------------------

Often when we get the Pumpkin or the Pookie to do something "on demand," we'll say, "Dance, monkey, dance!" It's good for a chuckle, although we do it less now that the Pumpkin repeats things.

--------------------------------

When the Pumpkin was going through a very contrary stage, I would say the nursery rhyme to her, "Mary, Mary, quite contrary. How does your garden grow?" She knew the rhyme (we've got a great nursery rhymes book), and would usually reply, "With silver bells and cockleshells and pretty maids all in a row."

But one time, Londo answered instead, "What garden? I don't have a garden!"

I laughed at the irony and added my own response, "My garden doesn't grow!"

(As a cute aside, the Pumpkin said to ME many times, "Mommy, Mommy, quite contrary. How does your garden grow?" I wasn't really be contrary at the time. She was just saying the cute rhyme, but saying to me.)

--------------------------------

A few months ago, the Pumpkin put a pair of pants around her head like a bandana. I told her to put a fist in the air and say, "Wolverines!" She totally did! And I cracked up so hard.

Who gets that reference? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

(Another aside: A few weeks ago, I read this post by The Blogess. And that typifies why I am developing a girl crush on her.)

--------------------------------

The Pumpkin likes to make up words and change sounds within words. While this can be cute, it can also be frustrating because she will sometimes argue with us over how to say the word. Even when she knows we are right or we didn't say what she says we did.

The other night, Londo asked her to sit in her chair the right way please. And she said, "Not clease. Please" though she did not turn around. He responded, "I said please." She said again, "Not clease. PLEASE!" He basically said whatever, then said very quietly to me as he passed me, "Not cluck either."

--------------------------------

I had a bunch more, but I keep forgetting to write them down, and then they are gone. I'll have to post more of these if I think of any more.

I almost made this a question of the week, because I'd love to hear any that you do. Got any?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know we have some examples of this but I'm just drawing a blank right now.

I like the one about Mary, Mary quite contrary. That was cute.

I think after reading that post by the Bloggess I might add her to my list as well. Not that I get that much time to do this anymore but that post lifted my spirits enough to go again!

Learning I Have Hypertension

This past winter, I discovered I have developed high blood pressure. This came as a surprise for me, since I generally had always had blood ...