Thursday, May 20, 2010

He's Also Working on Newton's Laws of Motion

Over the past couple of months, the Pookie has discovered Gravity! It's fun to play with! It's dangerous when you are still wobbly! It can make the dog your best friend, or make the dog run from you!

The Pookie's been crawling since just before he turned 9 months old. Soon after he turned 9 months, he figured out how to stand up on his own. Last month (when he was 10 months old), he actually let go of the couch with both hands for the first time in order to clutch one of the Pumpkin's toys to his chest in glee. He has since stood for a few wobbly seconds a handful of times. It's very cute to watch, but also a bit worrisome, since he sometimes ends these moments by falling over and clunking his head instead of carefully reaching back out for the couch or something else to steady himself.

But even more fun for him and the dog, though not for me and Londo, he has realized that when he lets go of something (like food) while holding it from up above (like his highchair), it will fall! All the way to the ground! Woo hoo, such fun this Gravity is! He likes to do it over and over. And try it from other places, like toys in his crib or playpen or exersaucer. Unfortunately, this game leaves his highchair tray, crib, playpen and exersaucer empty of things to stick in his mouth and play with.

And that's when the squeeling begins. Perfectly entertained one minute, screaming from frustration and boredom the next minute. Ah, the life of a baby!

2 comments:

nej said...

Three cheers for gravity!

B has also developed her "I'm bored! I'm thirsty! Woman, do your job!" screech and wow. I'd forgotten about the screeching.

Oh, and how I hated the catapulting to the ground phase. It was so painful to watch. I wouldn't mind it one bit if B just skipped right over that phase entirely. I hope it's a short-lived phase of the Pookie's life...for your sake as much as his.

Melba said...

I love love LOVE the wobbly first-times-on-my-feet phase. And those first few steps where baby looks like a cross between a zombie and a drunk guy. And how they hold their arms either straight out or way up above their heads to try to keep their balance.

That's got to be my favorite baby phase, the one Pookie's just starting now. Awesome. :)

Learning I Have Hypertension

This past winter, I discovered I have developed high blood pressure. This came as a surprise for me, since I generally had always had blood ...