Thursday, October 7, 2010

Sometimes She Confuses Me (Shorts)

Lately my daughter has been talking about "biting snakes" which I assume are snakes that bite, as opposed to those that don't. Generally, she talks about being scared of biting snakes and look out because there are biting snakes over there (with the crocodilles and giants who invade our house, apparently). And then the other morning, she shared this nugget of information:

Pumpkin: Biting snakes are scared of ghosts. Biting ghosts.
After a short pause, while I stood there a bit confused, but hadn't said anything...
Pumpkin: Biting ghosts are the same as regular ghosts except they are not regular. They are biting ghosts.

Glad we got that all cleared up!

------------------------

The other morning in the car, we had the following conversation:
Pumpkin: Do you want to hear a song about the highway?
caramama: I really do.
Pumpkin: Highway, highway. Every day is the highway.
Highway, highway. Every day is the highway.*
Pumpkin stops singing and asks me: Do you want to hear a song about the low way**?
caramama: Definitely.
Pumpkin: But I'm not done with the song about the highway!
caramama, trying not to laugh: Okay. Then let's hear the rest of the highway song.
Pumpkin continues to sing all sorts of "lyrics" about not rolling windows down on the highway because it's too windy and goodness knows what else.

I didn't do was ask her why she would offer up a different song when she wanted to sing more of the first song. I didn't bother to go there, because I suspect the answer would have confused me just as much.

*She totally made this song up. She makes up a lot of songs, and she's getting really good at it.

**For like a year now she's been distinguishing roads by whether they are highways or "low ways" such as neighborhood roads. We think it's so cute that we keep calling them that too.

4 comments:

mom2boy said...

Tate talks about biting snakes, too. Weird. I like the highway song. :)

Cloud said...

My Pumpkin had painted a paper dragon at day care and brought it home yesterday talking about how she was going to feed it and let it fly. I asked her what dragons eat, and she thought for a minute and said "dragon food".

And we get silly made-up songs, too. I love them!

Jac said...

We get made up songs too and I love them. My favorite is when any tune that he knows comes on the stereo or the TV and he sings along to the tune, but replaces the words with "Love you. Love YOOOOOOO!".

Highways/low ways - that is soooo cute.

Melba said...

We've got our own version of highways and lowways too, except ours are uproads and downroads. You're on a downroad if the intersecting roads go OVER you and you're on an uproad if you go over a downroad. i.e. a bridge. Took me a looooong time to figure out what the heck she was talking about... "mommy is this an uproad or a downroad?" Huh?

Rosie sucks at making up songs. And she's tonedeaf, so its probably for the best.

Learning I Have Hypertension

This past winter, I discovered I have developed high blood pressure. This came as a surprise for me, since I generally had always had blood ...