Friday, July 18, 2008

Personalizing the Songs

Speaking of making up songs for the Pumpkin, want to hear a verse of You Are My Sunshine I made up just for my girl?

First, let me preface. Since she was, well, born, we've been singing You Are My Sunshine to her during the diaper changes. She rarely likes diaper changes, and she used to pitch quite the fit during them, so we'd sing to distract her. Londo sings about three real verses of the song, but I made up my own second verse.

The first real verse, for those whole don't know, is:
You are my sunshine,
My only sunshine.
You make me happy
When skies are gray.
You'll never know, dear,
How much I love you.
Please don't take my sunshine away.

Here is my second verse:
You are my Pumpkin*,
My only Pumpkin.
And I love you
All of the time.
You'll never know, dear,
How much you're wanted.
Please don't fuss, cry or whine.

I also have a made-up third verse, but it's not that good and I use it only when I'm desperate. And it constantly changes, so I'm not going to share it, but it's that she's my baby, my only baby and I try to rhyme girl and world. Eh.

The Pumpkin will do the word "gray" and "away" (or her version of those words) for the real first verse, but only today did she end of my second verse correctly with a sound that was very similar to the word "whine."

Think she'll at least listen if she's telling herself that? Hehe.

*I actually sing her real name here, but Pumpkin fits nicely too.

5 comments:

Wineplz said...

that's so sweet! and probably better than what I sing to Cooper. I sometimes do "I'm a Little Teapot" without the motions (kinda went along with his feisty temper). Or I'll sing "Up All Night" by the Talking Heads. yeah, great kids' music, but hey, he laughs and we get through the diaper change relatively painlessly.

I'm Not Skippy said...

We make up all kids of songs all the time. The biggest one is every bath time my wife sings "Splish splash, Parker's takin' a bath." And we often add more lines to that.

Cloud said...

That's so cute! I've been making up bedtime stories about a little girl who learns how to sleep through the night by talking to a bird (Pumpkin LOVES birds). So far, she hasn't gotten the hint.

Jan said...

I can't even stop myself from doing this, with every song ever.

You are my sunshine,
My little sunshine
You make me happy
When I am down
You'll never know just
How much I love you
'Til you have a sunshine of your own

Rockabye [Little Dude], sweet little boy
Close your blue eyes and just drift away
Mommy's right here, and holding you tight
You're safe and you're loved
Rockabye goodnight

Lullaby and goodnight
Go to sleep now Little Munchkin
Mommy Love you, Daddy too
We'll be here while you're asleep
Sleepy girl, close your eyes
And you'll drift off and dream
Happy dreams full of love
Lullaby and goodnight

Sometimes I make up tunes, too. We have a handful of those that are regulars.

One of the Munchkin's first full phrases was "Mommy, please don't sing." ;)

Parisienne Mais Presque said...

I started singing a version of "You Are My Sunshine" to le Petit when I was pregnant, but I couldn't bring myself to sing the last two original lines, so I changed them:

"You are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy
When skies are gray
You'll always know, dear
How much I love you
So won't you be my sunshine all day"

A little cheesy, I know, but hey.

Diaper changes are STILL a challenge because monsieur insists on flipping over and trying to stand up or crawl off the changing table, but sometimes singing loudly helps distract him. "Louie Louie" worked for a while, and now I try a rousing rendition of "She'll be coming 'round the mountain." I usually have about until the 'red pajamas' verse before he's had enough!

Learning I Have Hypertension

This past winter, I discovered I have developed high blood pressure. This came as a surprise for me, since I generally had always had blood ...