Friday, September 26, 2008

The New Alphabet

The Pumpkin loves songs and music. Over the last few months, she also loves to sing parts of songs with us, usually the last word of the line. But there is one song that she LOVES above all others lately. And she sings it on her own all the time. It's the alphabet song!

She will look up at me and say, "Mama? A, B, C?" To which I reply, "Go ahead and you sing it." And then she proceeds to sing it to the best of her ability.

Her ability to sing it has gotten so much better over the last few weeks, too. Not that long ago, she was singing it in all sorts variations. Some variations took twice as long as the real song. For a while, most variations included 4, which of course is not a letter. And some variations drifted off into Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star--an easy mistake because they are set to the same tune.

But now, she's got pretty much the same song she sings. It goes like this: "A, B, C, I, K, Mono, Mono, P, Why-oh-why, Dupple, Eck, Z!"

And we clap and laugh. Then she says, "Again?"

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's too cute. we are in full-time alphabet mode here too. my panda bear is pretty good at recognizing all the letters too but like your pumpkin "w" is double at our house.

S said...

That is so cute!

Heather said...

I love to hear those sweet little inaudible songs!!! So precious.

Anonymous said...

For the longest time, Dorothy would not let me sing the alphabet song in English. If I tried to sing it in the car, she would thrash her head back and forth while yelling "Nooooo!" Now, if I sang it in German, she was just fine. At first this was annoying and concerning, but when I realized that singing the song would keep her from falling asleep in the car, I was very happy. Isn't that awful??

Karen said...

I love her version. It's the cutest.

Anonymous said...

Adorable! Mimi used to sing a version featuring "elephant pee" for LMNOP.

J. A. Busfield said...

the "mono, mono, p" part is my favorite!

Becoming Mommy said...

That's the cutest thing!

Anonymous said...

So that is where 4 has gone. The Main Man never says 4 when counting to 10. It apparently has been hiding in the alphabet.

Anonymous said...

heh, i never realized twinkle, twinkle and the ABC song were the same tune.

Boog has his own peculiar way of saying the alphabet too. I think P comes after K. :)

Learning I Have Hypertension

This past winter, I discovered I have developed high blood pressure. This came as a surprise for me, since I generally had always had blood ...