Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Pregnancy This Time Around

It occurred to me yesterday (when Sharina commented that she had to search back to find my announcement--and thanks, Sharina!) that I haven't been talking about my pregnancy much. But been there, done that, so I'm not as obsessive as I was with the Pumpkin. Not only is this pregnancy different from the last, but I'm also a different person in different circumstances than I was when pregnant with the Pumpkin.

The main difference is definitely that I'm not as obsessed. I'm also not as worried or stressed about this pregnancy. I still do worry, and I was especially worried until I was released from the fertility center to the OB. But in general, I'm just kind of going along and trying to get through it. I'm so busy with work and with the toddler, that it's easy to be distracted. In fact, I'm probably a little too distracted, considering I should have made my second OB appointment for last week and I still haven't called to set it up.

One major difference is that when I was pregnant with the Pumpkin, I had spotting on and off during my first trimester. This time, I haven't had that, which really helps the stress over the pregnancy.

There are other minor differences, such as this time the nausea seems to be lasting longer, and the acid reflux/heartburn has come early (making a really fantastic combination). When I was pregnant with the Pumpkin, in the first trimester I had horrible pains in my stomach in the middle of the night (I was told they were just gas pains, not really a knife stabbing my middle). I would wake up doubled over in pain and moan on the floor until they went away. I'm really REALLY happy to say I didn't get those this time.

My stomach has definately popped earlier than last time, as I was told it would. I'm at the limit of normal clothes in my closet (in the largest size I have). This weekend, I plan to pull out the box of maternity clothes and change over my closet so I don't have to see the cute little things that I can't wear anymore. I will also borrow my sister's maternity clothes, which she lent me last time. We agreed we would share the clothes so neither of us would have to buy a whole new wardrobe. We are generally the same size, except I'm shorter and needed to buy my own pants, and we like generally the same styles.

This time around, the stomach popping is what finally makes me feel like I'm pregnant. Sure, I've had multiple blood tests and ultrasounds, but that's kind of surreal. Sure, I've been nauseas and exhausted for weeks, but that just was making me feel bad not pregnant. It's the bulgy tummy that makes me realize there really is a baby growing in there.

Last pregnancy, I was so exhausted for almost all of it. Everyone said that the second trimester--the honeymoon trimester--would be so much better and that I'd get so much energy. In the fourth month, I got back some energy and felt about normal, but no extra energy. And that was it. By the fifth month, I was back to exhausted, which only got worse as I went over 41 weeks. I was on an emotional rollercoaster for most of the pregnancy too. So far this pregnancy is pretty much the same. The exhaustion may even be worse, since I have a super active toddler who doesn't sleep well.

Londo has been taking on so much. He does every winter, when I'm always so tired. But with the toddler, there is just a lot more to do--more than one person should or even can. I'm helping as much as I can, but boy, all I want to do is good to bed at 5:00 in the afternoon and stay there when I wake up, just laying in bed all day doing nothing. Unfortunately, I've got RESPONSIBILITIES and can't just check out from life for a couple months.

Now that I'm almost 14 weeks, I'm hoping that the easier months go better for me. That I get a little more energy (okay, I'd really like a TON more energy). That my nausea goes away and my heartburn doesn't act up too much. That no other lovely pregnancy symptoms start up just yet.

So there are differences this time around. Some better, some worse. Mostly just different. They say each pregnancy is different, just as each child is different. But since I've done it before, it isn't as new and strange as it was the last time. And I enjoy not obsessing or stressing about things this time.

I'm going to fess up here: As much as I want this baby and am so excited to be pregnant, I don't really enjoy being pregnant. I find it hard and uncomfortable most of the time. I'm not sure I'd be able to do it again, so the debate over whether or not Londo and I will have 2 or 3 kids may be decided.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

You summed it right up in the last paragraph. But wait a little before you decide you don't want another pregnancy. Two years and 9 months down the track, I don't think I would mind a third (pregnancy, not baby!!)

Hope you're feeling a whole lot better soon.

Cloud said...

Oh I hear you- I was not a happy pregnant lady, either. And I had an easy pregnancy. The fear of the pregnancy exhaustion added onto the normal Pumpkin-related sleep issues is one of the things that is holding me back from signing up for #2!

Anonymous said...

I felt so much better once the baby was born (both times). In spite of hormones and sleepless nights, I still didn't feel nearly as tired and all-around blah as I did when I was pregnant.

Anonymous said...

I feel for you. I had a very easy 1st pregnancy - all I did was eat eat eat and get fat! But the second was totally different. I threw up every day. It was almost a ritual. The second baby is also totally different from the first. I think everyone knows that a second baby is going to be a lot of work, but we are bascially overwhelmed. We both work and we have virtually zero time for ourself let alone each other once we get home, see the kids, dinner, bed, bath. I look forward to seeing how other people balence all of this madness.

Heather said...

I can't imagine being pregnant and dealing with a non-sleeping toddler! UGH! Hope Pumpkin lets you and Londo get some sleep soon!

zaimee said...

I also think that with a toddler running around even if you felt like obsessing you don't have the brainpower too. I definitely did not. It's exciting that you're headed into the 2nd trimester and I hope you have a better time.

KG said...

I LOATHE pregnancy. LOATHE it.

And I am already betting you're having another girl.

Anonymous said...

The same experienced with my friends and Aunt that being pregnant is not easy that's why I have a phobia of pregnancy.I hope so that in my case I could coop it up.

Parisienne Mais Presque said...

Caramama, I haven't said anything yet, but I am thrilled to hear your happy news! I hear you about the anxiety early in pregnancy #1. I was so nervous in the early months, and I think the next time around that part with be much easier, I hope.

Becoming Mommy said...

I hear you! I hated the experiance of being pregnant (I wanted to be pregnant, I love my son, but barfing 15 times a day for months...not fun).
I plan on doing it over again next year, but that's after taking a little break. Yeah, I'm kind of dreading what I know I'll probably go thru over again. Especially with the added responsibility this time.

Anonymous said...

Glad the pains didn't come back this time in the middle of the night. And it sounds like you are doing well so maybe distraction isn't such a bad thing.

There were some times when I enjoyed being pregnant -- maybe like 3 weeks during the second trimester. But agreed the before and after parts are hard. I remember people telling me about this whole forgetting what it was like so you would want to get pregnant again ... I think I may be missing that biological component!

Anonymous said...

First, congratulations!

I, too, am expecting baby number two, and do not enjoy pregnancy that much. I thought I'd like it more the second time around because, after experiencing it once, I know first-hand that I'll get an amazing little being out of this. But I am still emotional, sick to my stomach, tired, and sort of cranky about the whole thing.

Anonymous said...

"I'm going to fess up here: As much as I want this baby and am so excited to be pregnant, I don't really enjoy being pregnant. I find it hard and uncomfortable most of the time. I'm not sure I'd be able to do it again, so the debate over whether or not Londo and I will have 2 or 3 kids may be decided."

Are you sure? I think you could give Michelle Duggar a run for her money. http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-odd/20081219/18th.Baby/

Crazy!

Shellie said...

I agree with your confession. I love children, but I was so allergic to pregnancy, that I counted the hours at times. Children can make it harder and more exhausting to be pregnant but they do keep you from obsessing and help it go by faster.

Wineplz said...

Holy cow! I really have been under a rock!!!

Congrats congrats congrats mama!!! I was just wondering how all of this baby-making was going as I was getting ready for work this morning and made a mental note to make time to stop in and "see" you.

Wineplz said...

oops...got crazy with the tab key.

So anyways, I realized I hadn't been here since early November and was ashamed and figured I'd stop by...I'm so glad I did! Congrats on the upcoming baby and the fact that this pregnancy seems to be a little easier than with Pumpkin. :) And remind me to pound my husband...when I excitedly told him your happy news he was all "uh, yeah...I knew that", so he's in trouble for not telling me. :)

Learning I Have Hypertension

This past winter, I discovered I have developed high blood pressure. This came as a surprise for me, since I generally had always had blood ...