Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Because I Said So

The Pumpkin does not listen well. Oh, she hears just fine. But she doesn't listen. I'm sure it's a combination of her age and her personality. I know most 2 year olds have problems with simply doing what you tell them. (Ah, The Twos are so much fun.) But my girl? Never has really done what you tell her just because you tell her.

I don't want my children to simply comply like mindless automatons. If that's what we teach them at home, I fear that is what they will do out in the world. Just follow what people tell them without thinking. I don't want that. I really want children who cooperate with us as parents. Children who are able to think through what is asked of them and what they are doing. But as their parents, I want the children to cooperate with Londo and me because we need them to do certain things to be safe, respectful and kind (hedra's awesome terms). And we are trying to teach that... Although The Twos might not be the best place to expect results, since lately the Pumpkin has taken to arguing back to me, "It is safe!" when it clearly (to adults) is not.

But sometimes, I just want her to do what I tell her. I don't want to have to use the usual techniques we have to use, such as cajoling, making it a game, asking her to help (she loves to "help" lately), or any of the other playful parenting techniques we usually have to use. Sometimes, I just want her to put on her freaking pants. Just do it. Without a big hubbub. Simply because I said it was time to put on her pants. Without big explanations or games. And OMG, can she do it without all the whining and fussy and running off pants-less? Urg!!!

4 comments:

BisBink said...

I'm right there with you!

Anonymous said...

Doesn't every one have pictures of their two-year-old running around with pants on their head?

ImpostorMom said...

guess what...you inspired me to post!!! I KNOW!!!

I read your post and I was gonna send you an e-mail and I thought OMG that's like totally a blog post I'll just write it there and she can go READ it. It's been so long I think I'd forgotten how to do this whole blogging thing. :P

Cloud said...

Oh, I hear you. Last night, I had to pretend to be a train to get Pumpkin to go to the bathroom for her bath. And she loooves her bath!

Luckily, Hubby didn't have the camera ready for the show....

Learning I Have Hypertension

This past winter, I discovered I have developed high blood pressure. This came as a surprise for me, since I generally had always had blood ...