Skip to main content

Because I Said So

The Pumpkin does not listen well. Oh, she hears just fine. But she doesn't listen. I'm sure it's a combination of her age and her personality. I know most 2 year olds have problems with simply doing what you tell them. (Ah, The Twos are so much fun.) But my girl? Never has really done what you tell her just because you tell her.

I don't want my children to simply comply like mindless automatons. If that's what we teach them at home, I fear that is what they will do out in the world. Just follow what people tell them without thinking. I don't want that. I really want children who cooperate with us as parents. Children who are able to think through what is asked of them and what they are doing. But as their parents, I want the children to cooperate with Londo and me because we need them to do certain things to be safe, respectful and kind (hedra's awesome terms). And we are trying to teach that... Although The Twos might not be the best place to expect results, since lately the Pumpkin has taken to arguing back to me, "It is safe!" when it clearly (to adults) is not.

But sometimes, I just want her to do what I tell her. I don't want to have to use the usual techniques we have to use, such as cajoling, making it a game, asking her to help (she loves to "help" lately), or any of the other playful parenting techniques we usually have to use. Sometimes, I just want her to put on her freaking pants. Just do it. Without a big hubbub. Simply because I said it was time to put on her pants. Without big explanations or games. And OMG, can she do it without all the whining and fussy and running off pants-less? Urg!!!

Comments

BisBink said…
I'm right there with you!
My Buddy Mimi said…
Doesn't every one have pictures of their two-year-old running around with pants on their head?
ImpostorMom said…
guess what...you inspired me to post!!! I KNOW!!!

I read your post and I was gonna send you an e-mail and I thought OMG that's like totally a blog post I'll just write it there and she can go READ it. It's been so long I think I'd forgotten how to do this whole blogging thing. :P
Cloud said…
Oh, I hear you. Last night, I had to pretend to be a train to get Pumpkin to go to the bathroom for her bath. And she loooves her bath!

Luckily, Hubby didn't have the camera ready for the show....

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Fidgets in Sleep (and While Awake)

Since I've started this blog, I've had quite a few visitors find me through a search for something like "baby fidgets in sleep" or "baby fidgets in bed" or simply "baby fidgets." This leads me to believe that there are others out there with fidgety babies who drive them crazy enough to search on the internet for some information about fidgeting babies. So I thought I'd do a whole post to discuss the fidgety nature of my child and how I deal with it.

Do you want to know when my child first started fidgeting? IN UTERO!! I'm not kidding. When I was pregnant, this baby moved a lot. She was very often kicking and pushing and hiccuping. OMG, the hiccups! I thought they would drive me nuts. Every. Single. Day. For. Months. Straight. Often more than once a day. I am not exaggerating--you can ask Londo or the many people I worked with, all of whom had to hear about it. I just thought it was part of being pregnant, and it probably is, but I've al…

Some Babies Just Fidget

I have mentioned before that we had a very fidgety baby. It's been a while sinced I talked about it. Although she is still pretty fidgety, at her currently toddler stage it seems more normal and has in many ways translated into bigger, general movements, like climbing.

But I still get a ton of search hits that have to do with baby fidgeting or flailing while sleeping or nursing. Some people stay around and read a bit, and I hope they get what they need from the posts I wrote specifically aboutthis topic hoping that others realize they are not alone. Most people don't stay at all, and I figure they are probably looking for medical reasons why babies fidget (like I would).

Then I got this comment, which does indeed show that people are looking for medical reason. Anonymous said that she wasn't sure if the Pumpkin's fidgets were as severe are her 3.5 month old. Well anonymous, I can't be positive since I haven't seen your child, but at some points they were as bad …

Fidgety Baby Growing Up

My daughter was a very fidgety baby. More fidgety than any other baby I knew through all my years of babysitting, being an aunt and having friends and family with babies. So fidgety that I wondered if something was wrong, if there was an underlying reason for her fidgetiness.

There really wasn’t anything wrong. As far as I can tell, she simply has a LOT of energy in her body. Her father is the same way. Londo is full of energy and has always been a fidgeter. And me? I can’t sit in one position for a long period of time. I don’t really fidget so much as I shift positions periodically, and I don’t think I ever simply sit normal, facing forward with both feet on the ground when I’m in a chair. In fact, sitting normal sounds like torture to me.

But three years ago, when the Pumpkin was a few months old and through her babyhood, I didn’t know why she was fidgeting so much. When I would nurse her, when we’d be rocking her to sleep, when we would try to hold her calmly, when we’d be lying in…