Skip to main content

Recipes Review, Bloggy Book Club and August Meet Up

Recipes Review

Get this: I posted a cake and muffin recipe review on my review site! Didn't know I had a review site? Well, I haven't posted in a LONG time. But it was one of my New Year's Resolutions to start posting on my review blog again. I've got all sorts of things I've been wanting to write up, but to get me going at all I started with some easy recipes. They are good ones I found on allrecipes.com, though. And the upcoming reviews are even more interesting!

-----------------------
Bloggy Friends Book Club

In early July, hush did a book discussion for The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I definitely have plans to read the book and add a (hopefully) meaningful comment to the discussion. If you've read it, head over and post your thoughts!

I had had this thought that those who like reading and are interested could host a book discussion on their blogs and/or comment to participate, thereby creating a sort of Bloggy Friends Book Club that meet at each others' places to discuss the book of the month.

So I'd like to host a book discussion of Midwives, by Chris Bohjalian on August 11, 2010! If you are interested, get the book, read it and come here and comment on August 11th.

-----------------------
August DC Area Meet Up

I know everyone is more than ready for an adult-only get together. Let's do it in August! Please vote for the day and time in the poll on the side panel. There are lots of options because it occured to me that I should offer lunch and dinner times for each day. I'm unable to do the weekend of the 21-22, so I didn't include those.

I'm thinking we meet in McLean and go to one of the restaurants there. I really like a few in the Tyson's Corner II mall. What do you guys think?

Comments

hush said…
Thanks for the sweet shout out! I'm definitely in for the discussion of "Midwives." Full disclosure: I read it about 5 or 6 years ago pre-kids and remember loving it, but I'll have to get up to speed again on the exact details of the end of the story. I think I remember the main things well enough to chime in. Yay!
Jac said…
I've added Midwives to my library requests. If it comes in before the 11th, I'll be there!

I just read the summary on Amazon. The blend of medical/legal/philosophical issues reminds me of a Jodi Picoult book. I love Jodi Picoult.

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Fidgets in Sleep (and While Awake)

Since I've started this blog, I've had quite a few visitors find me through a search for something like "baby fidgets in sleep" or "baby fidgets in bed" or simply "baby fidgets." This leads me to believe that there are others out there with fidgety babies who drive them crazy enough to search on the internet for some information about fidgeting babies. So I thought I'd do a whole post to discuss the fidgety nature of my child and how I deal with it.

Do you want to know when my child first started fidgeting? IN UTERO!! I'm not kidding. When I was pregnant, this baby moved a lot. She was very often kicking and pushing and hiccuping. OMG, the hiccups! I thought they would drive me nuts. Every. Single. Day. For. Months. Straight. Often more than once a day. I am not exaggerating--you can ask Londo or the many people I worked with, all of whom had to hear about it. I just thought it was part of being pregnant, and it probably is, but I've al…

Some Babies Just Fidget

I have mentioned before that we had a very fidgety baby. It's been a while sinced I talked about it. Although she is still pretty fidgety, at her currently toddler stage it seems more normal and has in many ways translated into bigger, general movements, like climbing.

But I still get a ton of search hits that have to do with baby fidgeting or flailing while sleeping or nursing. Some people stay around and read a bit, and I hope they get what they need from the posts I wrote specifically aboutthis topic hoping that others realize they are not alone. Most people don't stay at all, and I figure they are probably looking for medical reasons why babies fidget (like I would).

Then I got this comment, which does indeed show that people are looking for medical reason. Anonymous said that she wasn't sure if the Pumpkin's fidgets were as severe are her 3.5 month old. Well anonymous, I can't be positive since I haven't seen your child, but at some points they were as bad …

Fidgety Baby Growing Up

My daughter was a very fidgety baby. More fidgety than any other baby I knew through all my years of babysitting, being an aunt and having friends and family with babies. So fidgety that I wondered if something was wrong, if there was an underlying reason for her fidgetiness.

There really wasn’t anything wrong. As far as I can tell, she simply has a LOT of energy in her body. Her father is the same way. Londo is full of energy and has always been a fidgeter. And me? I can’t sit in one position for a long period of time. I don’t really fidget so much as I shift positions periodically, and I don’t think I ever simply sit normal, facing forward with both feet on the ground when I’m in a chair. In fact, sitting normal sounds like torture to me.

But three years ago, when the Pumpkin was a few months old and through her babyhood, I didn’t know why she was fidgeting so much. When I would nurse her, when we’d be rocking her to sleep, when we would try to hold her calmly, when we’d be lying in…