Friday, November 30, 2007

Cara Figlia - My Fussy Girl

Cara figlia,

It's true, what they say, I really do love in a way I didn't know existed before and it is all worth it and all that. But you, my love, are a Fussy Baby. There, I've said it. Now it's out there, and I can't take it back. I don't even want to take it back.

You could not be defined as ONLY a Fussy Baby, though. You are sweet, cuddly, giggly, smiley, inquisitive, active, and many other things. But you are also a Fussy Baby.

I know some people were happy to have the diagnosis of colic and don't understand why others don't want to name their babies "colicky." And when you were just a newborn, your dad and I agonized over what was going on with you. I read the Baby Book's definition of Fussy/Colicky/High Needs, and I realized that my issue with "colicky" was that I didn't think it truly describe what was going on with you. I have no problem with the term or using it to descibe babies. But you fit more with the desciptions of a Fussy Baby and a bit of a High Needs Baby. You just wanted to be held all the time. You didn't cry in pain, just in frustration that everything wasn't exactly the way you wanted it. You were usually fine when everything was the way you wanted it.

I'm still glad that I didn't chalk it up to colic and hope that it would end at a certain point, that magical point when babies stop being colicky. Because I believe this is more about your personality. You are Fussy. I don't think this means you will always be a fussy person, although you may be. But as a baby, right now, you are definitely a fussy one.

My therapist (yes, I'm seeing a therapist for my PPD, and she's wonderful) said that I can't change the fact that you are a Fussy Baby. She is right. So I'm going to try to embrace it.

And you know what, my little fussy one? I'm a bit of a Fussy Woman. So we'll just fuss together until we drive your daddy completely insane.

Ti amo,
caramama

3 comments:

ImpostorMom said...

Boog was pretty textbook colicky, came and went just as it should. I know it doesn't work that way for all babies.

Maybe that is the issue people have with calling their babies colicky, that people will think that is all they are. That so wasn't true for Boog either, he was only a screaming, crying colicky baby between 9pm and 1am. The rest of the time he was a sweet boy. :P

Two Shorten the Road said...

Hey, she wants it the way she wants it. I can support that 100%.

Anonymous said...

My mother still has rather resentful stories of me with "the colic..." Even one, where she stood holding me bawling at the top of the stairs and saw the plummeting abyss-- and considered it, just for a moment (she claims ;) ) .

but with the fussy label, suddenly i could explain my whole life. :) kicking, screaming, driving all around me crazy...till, I just get it right.

i'm assuming it's a sign of her future articulacy. just like her mama's. :)

Learning I Have Hypertension

This past winter, I discovered I have developed high blood pressure. This came as a surprise for me, since I generally had always had blood ...