Thursday, March 27, 2008

At Least We Support Each Other

In the evenings, Londo and I switch off who is going to feed the Pumpkin and who is going to give her the bath and get her ready for bed (I then nurse her to sleep, if I can). The other evening, Londo came home after leaving work late and being in a bunch of traffic, so I told him to do whichever would be easier for him. He said he'd rather feed her than kneel down by the tub.

What we didn't realize was that this night the Pumpkin was going to be a grumpy and picky eater (it happens). As she was throwing the food on the floor, banging her highchair tray, whining the whole time and not eating any number of things that Londo offered, here is a snippet of the conversation he and I had across the dinner table:

caramama (snarkily): Boy, am I glad you picked feeding her!
Londo: Yeah, thanks for your sympathy. I hope she poops in the tub for you.
caramama: haha

For the record, I finished feeding her when he got too frustrated and then I also gave her the bath! And Londo did all the dishes that had piled up in the sink while I put her to bed.

6 comments:

Burgh Baby said...

It sounds like things more or less balanced out in the end.

Here's to hoping you join the Pickle Club on Londo's watch!

Becoming Mommy said...

Sounds like our evenings. For some reason, occasionally Sasha won't eat for Hubby.
But hey, Londo did the dishes! He is doing his part.

Anonymous said...

yeah sometimes it has to be more about whose fuse is shorter and less about whose turn it is. :)

There are nights I have to hand him off and say I can't take it, you have to try. Remarkably these are always the times when my husband seems to have an abundance of patience.

La folle maman said...

Maybe we should try the pick and choose method. Basically, our rule is if it's non-Raid night (DH is an avid World of Warcraft player) and he's home early enough, DH feeds Monkey. If it's a bath night (we only do every other night), DH gets that obligation as well. On these nights, I usually read blogs, write in my own or work while this is going on. I usually have to pick it up at the end to either breastfeed if the bottle wasn't enough or to comfort our son into sleep (for some reason, my son prefers me reading the books).

Most nights this works for us unless DH is late from work and then I get to do all of it.

But perhaps on the rare nights that we're both available, we should do the choose method.

- Dana said...

We share all of the responsibilies and also take turns. My favorite is doing some of these things together. I really enjoy giving our daughter a bath while KZ sits in the room with us and we just chat/catch up and laugh at the silly things she does. A lot of times when things get busy, it's one of us with the baby and the other running around or working. It's nice to be all together during these simple activities. You know?

-goofydaddy said...

i really like that you have the freedom to switch off like that. :-)

though i'm partial to our situation. for the most part, mommy has wakeup through breakfast (about 30 minutes), then i get her all day, and then we try to have a family dinner when mommy gets home, then baths and bedtime is usually all mommy, while i clean up a little. weekends are usually all about the fam. :-)

I'd switch off bathtime or bedtime, but i'm usually pretty tired by that time, and it's really mommy/daughter time now.

Learning I Have Hypertension

This past winter, I discovered I have developed high blood pressure. This came as a surprise for me, since I generally had always had blood ...