Skip to main content

Cara Figlia - Happy Birthday to the Pumpkin

Buono primo compleanno alla mia bambina (happy first birthday to my baby),

One year ago today was truly the first day of the rest of my life. You have been a delight, bring more laughter and joy into my life and your daddy's life than we ever had before. Your laughter is the sweetest sound in the world, your bright eyes the most beautiful sight.

This first year of your life has not always been easy, but it has definitely been the best year ever for me and your daddy. You were never a laid back, easy baby, but for you that means that you feel things to their fullest. When you are upset, you are UPSET! But when you are happy, you are HAPPY! You cry and giggle with equal abandon, and we love that about you.

Today, I took off work to celebrate your birthday with you. This morning, we had a birthday breakfast with daddy, and your Grandma is visiting and got to play with you after breakfast. Once you wake up from your morning nap, we are going to go to the zoo and see the animals! I know you still aren't a big fan of the car, but I think it will be worth the 30 minute ride downtown to experience the zoo. And your Grandpa might be able to meet us for lunch!

We can't wait to see how you grow and develop in the next year, and every year after. We love you so much, and thank God that you were born to us and are in our lives.

Ti amiamo,
Mama and Daddy

Comments

-Dana said…
Happy Birthday Pumpkin! Hope you enjoy the zoo, that should be fun!
BisBink said…
Happy 1st Birthday Pumpkin!! We are looking forward to celebrating with you this weekend! Enjoy the zoo!
ImpostorMom said…
Happy Birthday Pumpkin!
Cloud said…
Happy Birthday, Pumpkin! It sounds like a fun day.
-goofydaddy said…
happy birthday! hope you get lots of new toys to explore and discover!

i wanna go to the zoo! maybe i'll take Aria during the week sometime so it's less crowded (does the zoo even get crowded on the weekends?)
OneTiredEma said…
Happy Birthday!

And congrats to Mama and Daddy too!
La folle maman said…
Happy Birthday, Pumpkin! Hope the zoo was fun! I'm sure it was.

Have sweet birthday dreams!
Karen said…
Happy birthday, little one!
Shellie said…
Sounds like a winner birthday! What a sweetheart!

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Fidgets in Sleep (and While Awake)

Since I've started this blog, I've had quite a few visitors find me through a search for something like "baby fidgets in sleep" or "baby fidgets in bed" or simply "baby fidgets." This leads me to believe that there are others out there with fidgety babies who drive them crazy enough to search on the internet for some information about fidgeting babies. So I thought I'd do a whole post to discuss the fidgety nature of my child and how I deal with it.

Do you want to know when my child first started fidgeting? IN UTERO!! I'm not kidding. When I was pregnant, this baby moved a lot. She was very often kicking and pushing and hiccuping. OMG, the hiccups! I thought they would drive me nuts. Every. Single. Day. For. Months. Straight. Often more than once a day. I am not exaggerating--you can ask Londo or the many people I worked with, all of whom had to hear about it. I just thought it was part of being pregnant, and it probably is, but I've al…

Some Babies Just Fidget

I have mentioned before that we had a very fidgety baby. It's been a while sinced I talked about it. Although she is still pretty fidgety, at her currently toddler stage it seems more normal and has in many ways translated into bigger, general movements, like climbing.

But I still get a ton of search hits that have to do with baby fidgeting or flailing while sleeping or nursing. Some people stay around and read a bit, and I hope they get what they need from the posts I wrote specifically aboutthis topic hoping that others realize they are not alone. Most people don't stay at all, and I figure they are probably looking for medical reasons why babies fidget (like I would).

Then I got this comment, which does indeed show that people are looking for medical reason. Anonymous said that she wasn't sure if the Pumpkin's fidgets were as severe are her 3.5 month old. Well anonymous, I can't be positive since I haven't seen your child, but at some points they were as bad …

Fidgety Baby Growing Up

My daughter was a very fidgety baby. More fidgety than any other baby I knew through all my years of babysitting, being an aunt and having friends and family with babies. So fidgety that I wondered if something was wrong, if there was an underlying reason for her fidgetiness.

There really wasn’t anything wrong. As far as I can tell, she simply has a LOT of energy in her body. Her father is the same way. Londo is full of energy and has always been a fidgeter. And me? I can’t sit in one position for a long period of time. I don’t really fidget so much as I shift positions periodically, and I don’t think I ever simply sit normal, facing forward with both feet on the ground when I’m in a chair. In fact, sitting normal sounds like torture to me.

But three years ago, when the Pumpkin was a few months old and through her babyhood, I didn’t know why she was fidgeting so much. When I would nurse her, when we’d be rocking her to sleep, when we would try to hold her calmly, when we’d be lying in…