Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas and To Be Read Challenge

To all those who celebrate: Merry Christmas!

We've had a great Christmas morning so far. It's the Pumpkin's first Christmas, and she seems to be enjoying it. At 9.5 months, she doesn't quite get it, and she had a little bit of a stunned look on her face when we were opening presents (hers, hubby's and mine). Londo and I had a lot of fun, and we are going to my parents for Christmas dinner with my siblings and their families. I hope all you interneters are having a wonderful day.

Now, someone inspired me to do the To Be Read Challenge 2008. I buy, receive and borrow so many books, and I really mean to read them all. I just don't always get to them. So I'm doing the challenge! Below is my list of books and alternates, which I will at some point add to the side of the blog to track. Anyone else want to join in?

The books (in no particular order even though they are numbered):
1. The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver
2. Bel Canto, by Ann Patchett
3. The Pact, by Jodi Picoult
4. Saving Fish from Drowning, by Amy Tan
5. Anansi Boys, by Neil Gaiman
6. It's Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy, by Captain D. Michael Abrashoff
7. The Blind Mirror, by Christopher Pike
8. Girl, Interrupted, by Susanna Kaysen
9. The Last Days of Dogtown, by Anita Diamant
10. Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior, By Temple Grandin and Catherine Johnson
11. Desiring Italy, collection edited by Susan Cahill
12. The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time and the Texture of Reality, by Brian Greene

The alternates (again in no particular order):
1. The Red Tent, by Anita Diamant
2. Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte
3. The Eyre Affair, by Jasper Fforde
4. Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov
5. Mansfield Park, by Jane Austen
6. The Dante Club, by Matthew Pearl
7. A Conspiracy of Paper, by David Liss
8. Eon, by Greg Bear
9. The Accidental Buddhist, by Dinty Moore
10. Bella Tuscany, by Frances Mayes
11. Girl with a Pearl Earring, by Tracy Chevalier
12. How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk, by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish

Yikes! That looks ambitious to me. We'll see how I do... Considering how much I generally read, this should be doable. But you also have to take into account that I will throw in a romance novel or two a month, cause I need a regular stream of light-hearted, happy-ending stories to keep me a happy girl. This will definitely eat into my internet time...

Oh, and there is pretty much a story behind each of the books I selected, so at the beginning of the month when I start the book, I'll relate the story.

Now, I'm spending way too much time on the computer during Christmas day! I'm off to try and make that napless child take a nap and wrap the rest of the presents...

I've updated the list of alternatives I originally posted, since I'm allowed to make changes up until December 31st. I've removed The Republic of Plate, translation and notes by Allan Bloom, because I don't feel I can give it my full attention with a 1 year old running around. I also removed Warrior Queen: The Story of Boudica, Celtic Queen, by Alan Gold, because it can wait. I'd rather read the two I added (I'm not sure how I didn't put them on the list first--it was a big "doh" when I remember both): Eon, by Greg Bear, and How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk, by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish. But I think that is my final books and alternatives lists.

9 comments:

OneTiredEma said...

Merry Christmas to you!

I've found reading more challenging as the kids get older (they sleep less, nurse less, and demand more face time!)--those sound like great choices though. Do you have all of them in house? I've got a few if you need.

Peaceful Me (Quo) said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours too. I thought about how much internet time I would be losing by reading too. (I will try not to think too hard on it for I love the net). I look forward to reading about why you chose the books you chose for the challege.

Peace

Becoming Mommy said...

I've read a few of those. Wasn't enthralled with the Poisonwood Bible. Jane Eyre is an all-time favorite.
You're lucky to have the time to read novels though...most of my "reading" involves mp3 downloads of audiobooks and textbooks for school. And then of course, children's lit (we've already gone thru the whole Oz series).
For great free books online, try http://www.literature.org/.

caramama said...

I'm already revising my list a little. But I have until December 31st, midnight, to do so!

onetiredema - I've got them all, but thanks! In fact, I've had them all for at least 6 months, some for years!

becoming mommy - I've been able to read while nursing some of the time. Other than that, I kind of read to the detriment of doing other things. It's what I do to relax and de-stress. :-)

Londo said...

I love Gaiman. Anansi Boys is awesome. (American Gods is a must read)

Nice list, even if Plato didn't make the final cut ;)

Anonymous said...

I am tempted. Reading is definitely something I rarely do now. I much prefer sleep.

I'll have to think about it.

La folle maman said...

Cara Mama knows me and knows that I'm not quite the "reader". However, I did get some books for Christmas that I plan on reading next year. Here's the list:

Raising a Son -- Don Elium, Jeanne Elium

Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay -- Wilder-Taylor

Mealtime Solutions for your Baby -- Ann Douglas

Toddler: Real-life Stories of Those Fickle, Irrational, Urgent, Tiny People We Love -- Jennifer Margulis

As you can see, it's not really what you'd call fun reading (except maybe the Sippy Cup one).

caramama said...

la folle maman - I hope you enjoy those books! I do have to say that I bought sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay sometime in the last year and returned it. I might have gotten 10 or 15 pages in. I really didn't like it, but mostly cause nothing she said in it were things I could relate to or I already knew them. I had hoped it was a funny book of stories, but it was more like an advice book full of advice that I knew or didn't agree with for me.

It might be right on target for you though. I don't know. Or it might have gotten better after the beginning. Let me know how that turns out!

b*babbler said...

Ooh, thanks for the link. I'm honored to be an inspiration!

I can't wait to follow along with you, and see how your reading goes!

Learning I Have Hypertension

This past winter, I discovered I have developed high blood pressure. This came as a surprise for me, since I generally had always had blood ...